Saturday 5 December 2015

November 2015: Income & Expenses

    November was a busy and exciting month for me, particularly with leaving my job at Starbucks slinging coffee for the past two and a bit years to starting a new career at one of the big 6 Canadian banks. So baring that in mind, I actually had pretty good hours that month, having been given more hours to assist in the training of several new hires.

    Going forward I am looking forward to earning more each month due to a higher income. Also my continually higher dividend income will keep me moving ahead as I keep adding to my portfolio, and some of those great companies keep growing their dividends.

Income
$
Work
1527.74
Bonus
86.88
Dividends
100.77
Total
1715.39

     As I mentioned, income from work was higher due to a bit more hours than usual, as well as having my banked up vacation hours paid out on my last paycheck. I expect that December is going to be a great month, as I will be getting paid more at my new job, however I am not 100% on how many hours I will be getting since it is still technically a part-time position. But, if all remains the same in hours similar to Starbucks, then the higher hourly wage will bring me up a fair bit.

    The Bonus income category this month consisted of another payment from the Government of Canada, as well as a $30 credit card cash back payment, which is always quite nice to get! Sadly, no other sources of unexpected income to speak off, but perhaps next month.

    My dividend income for the month, while not being a record breaker as October was, Novembers was still higher than the previous comparable month, and going back a year to November 2014 was $62.68 higher! Also my dividends represented 5.87% of my monthly income this month, and would be able to cover 8% of my expenses this month, not too shabby!

Expenses
$
Rent
750
Phone
28.25
Travel
141.5
Groceries
149.72
Restaurants
40.66
Entertainment
66.65
Other
238.15
Total
1256.38

     I am actually rather surprised that my expenses this November were not a lot higher than they were. Primarily due to having bought a new suit jacket for work, which was on sale for $160, from the regular price of $460. Sometimes it really pays to get email updates from Moore's (or other stores) on their weekly sales. I had been waiting for that one for a few weeks and was about to 'bite the bullet' when I saw the E-Newsletter.

    Also within that category was some extra spending on Christmas decorations and a small 4' faux-Christmas tree and a starter pack of ornaments for the apartment to get it looking festive. Once again was able to take advantage of Black Friday (week) sales at Canadian Tire. And I am planning on getting some higher quality decorations for next year after the holidays when it should all go on sale at deep discounts.

     While my 'other' category of expenses may have been higher than normal, it was still less than last months when I bought new prescription sunglasses and got some dental work done. However,  managed to control my spending better this month in the Grocery, Restaurant and Entertainment sections of my spending. Still though, my total months spending is only just slightly above my year to date average of $1,249, even with buying a suit jacket and decorations. So I am very happy about that and my savings rate for the month was 27%, which is better than my year to date savings rate of 24%.

1 comment:

  1. Hi DW,

    You recently followed me on Twitter, and I stopped by to check out your blog. I am the dedicated editor for Seeking Alpha's Dividend, Income & Retirement community. We think the content on your blog could be a good fit for Seeking Alpha (and particularly, our D&I community), and we’d like to know if you’re interested in letting us publish some of your blog posts as articles. There are quite a few benefits to being a Seeking Alpha contributor, including the ability to get your ideas in front of millions of active investors. You can read more about that here: http://seekingalpha.com/page/become-a-seeking-alpha-contributor.

    If you’re interested, all you need to do is register for a Seeking Alpha account and fill out your contributor details here: http://seekingalpha.com/email_preferences. Let us know (by e-mailing robyn@seekingalpha.com) when this is complete and we’ll begin monitoring your blog for articles we think are a good fit for the site and will post them for you under your Seeking Alpha account.

    Of course you’re always welcome to submit articles yourself through our submissions interface, along with having your blog monitored, as long as it's not duplicate content. We also compensate our contributors for any exclusive content posted on Seeking Alpha (let me know if you'd like more info on that). Kindly also note our policy for article disclosures: For all stock-specific articles, we will add "Disclosure: No positions" unless the article explicitly states otherwise. Alternately, if you have a current list of holdings, please send them to us and we will apply them as relevant. If you choose to give us a list of your holdings, please contact us any time that list is updated. Further, it seems you're heavily concentrated on Canadian stocks? Our audience is primarily US-stock focused, so that's also something to keep in mind.

    Thanks for your consideration and we hope to welcome you to the Seeking Alpha contributor community soon!

    Best,
    Robyn Conti
    Seeking Alpha Dividends, Income & Retirement Editor
    robyn@seekingalpha.com

    ReplyDelete